Thursday, November 17, 2016

Star Gazing

Milky Way, Starry Sky, Star, Galaxies  I love the nights when its clear enough to stand out and watch the stars.  Living in Alaska, I seldom see them during the summer because it doesn't get dark enough but beginning in late September or early October, it gets dark enough to enjoy the stars.

I live out in the middle of nowhere so I have no problem with light pollution.  I have beautifully clear skyies but not every is so lucky. I've lived in cities but it was so hard some nights to see the stars but there are some things you can do to make star gazing easier.

1. Find a place in the shadows away from overhead lights so you have less glare and a better chance to see the sky.

2.  Wait for an evening with less dust and low winds because the dust can cause light to be reflected back, making it harder to see the stars.

3. Take a trip into the countryside so there is less light pollution to worry about.

4. Place a shade on your telescope to cut down on the light that way.

5. Cover your head with a dark cloth to prevent the light from affecting your eye.

6. Ask your neighbors to turn off their security lights so it is darker in your area.

7.  Purchase some colored filters which will enhance the planets and cut down on the light pollution.

8. Go out after midnight when the amount of light has reduced due to the decrease in activity.

9.  Purchase specialty filters designed to reduce light pollution.

10. Use a digital camera to take pictures so you can eliminate the pollution digitally.

Yes, I do own a telescope but I haven't really used it much because the best time to watch is in the middle of winter when its really cold and its hard to adjust things with thick gloves.  I need a clear enclosed heated room so I can enjoy viewing the night skies without freezing to death.

Every time I look up and see the clarity of the night sky, I am in awe and thankful I get a chance to see it.  Let me know what you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment