Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Helping You Sleep Better.

Moon, The Fullness Of, Sky, Mystery  I often have trouble sleeping. Sometimes its due to traveling so much and other times its because my brain is working and I cannot go to sleep until I've gotten everything written down.  Sometimes, its simply because its too light to go to sleep.

Remember, I live in Alaska where it is light at night in the middle of summer.  I find I'd rather take a series of naps than sleep solidly all night long due to it being too light.

This is not a problem for most people, the light, but not sleeping at night?  That is something shared by most people.  There are things you can do to improve your chances of sleeping all night long.  Things you've never considered.  I know I need to do a few of these things myself.

1.  Turn off all computers, televisions and other blue light sources at least an hour before bedtime. Cover all others, including clocks, so you don't glace at them all night.

2 Do not take a nap.  If you have to take a nap, make it under 20 minutes during the earlier part of the day.  If you undergo the mid afternoon slump, take a walk or drink ice water to improve your energy level.

3. Try to find a pillow that keeps your neck in its normal line.  You do not want a pillow that is too fluffy or too flat.

4. Wrap the mattress in a plastic bag to prevent dust mites, dust, etc do not accumulate.  This cuts down on allergic reactions which interfere with your sleep.

5. You should only sleep on the bed.  When you watch television, work on your computer or other such activities, your bedroom no longer feels as relaxing.

6. It is highly recommended you go to bed and get up at roughly the same time every day, even on weekends. If you go into bright lights right after getting up, it is much easier to wake up.

7. One should not have any caffeine (including that in chocolate) after noon or it might interfere with your going to sleep at night. Sometimes caffeine is hidden as it is in some pain relievers and weight loss tablets.

8. You should work out regularly but finish at least 3 to 4 hours prior to bedtime, otherwise you'll find it difficult to go to sleep.

9. Try not to eat a heavy meal at night.  If you have to eat, eat a light snack no more than an hour prior to bed.

10. Although alcohol will make you sleepy, once its effects wear off, you are more likely to wake up several times over night.

11.  Do not drink a lot of liquid at night within two hours of going to bed.  Have to get up to the restroom can make it difficult to go back to sleep.

12. Do not smoke right before bed because nicotine is a stimulant.

I hope the above suggestions help. I will have no trouble sleeping tonight since I flew across the country and spent 8.5 hours in the air with the appropriate breaks.  I got up early to do it and I'm tired.  Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment