Thursday, March 16, 2017


Alaska Airlines Terminal, Bethel, AK
I am flying back east to attend a close family member's funeral. Yesterday, I didn't publish due to something happening which has never happened before.

If you are a regular reader, you know I live in the middle of nowhere in Alaska where the only real way in or out is by plane.  A very small plane.

The other thing you need to know is the process for leaving the village.  You check in by phone with the local agent who asks for a phone number so they can call when the pilot calls in about 20 minutes out.

I was scheduled to leave at around 5:30 PM so I had everything planned, including being able to finish the column before I had to leave even if it was a bit late.

I was in the middle of a meeting, around 3:15, when I got a message the plane was 15 minutes out.  15 minutes to rush out of the meeting, contact the guy who was taking me to the airport, get all my winter gear (snow pants, heavy coat, heavy boots, hat, scarf, gloves, and sun glasses) on, and haul luggage out to the truck taking me to the airport.

The plane was about 2.5 hours early.  Apparently, the local weather indicated a nasty storm due in later that day, so they moved it up and cancelled the evening flight.  The plane arrived loaded to the gills with tons of cargo and two passengers.  Everyone waiting for the flight had had to hurry to get there.

It was a smooth trip into Bethel, the local hub and largest town/city in the area.  Every airline has their own terminal.  I caught a shuttle over to the Alaska Airline Terminal to check in for my next flight. (The picture above is of the waiting room.  Security was build long after the terminal so it was built in a corner).

About 2 hours prior my departure time, one of the employees made an announcement telling us the flight would be an hour later than expected.  I had more time to catch up on reading but as you can see from the photo, there is not much there to do and no internet.  One good thing?  You can call any restaurant in town and have food delivered.

I finally got to Anchorage around 11:15 PM and checked in by midnight.  That is why I didn't get anything published.  Life out in the bush is never boring and always unexpected.  Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment