Monday, August 21, 2017

Skyr Is Not Alone

Raspberries, Yogurt, Nature, Frisch  The other day, I wrote about Skyr, an Icelandic dairy product that is actually a soft cheese but seems me a thick yogurt because you use a spoon to eat it.  I really enjoyed it when I was over there.

Each country in Scandinavia has its own dairy product and they are different.  I hope to try them all the next time I go to Europe because I love trying new food.

First is Viili from Finland.  It is considered an heirloom yogurt but instead of being solid, it is described as ropy and slimy.  As with other heirloom yogurts, a small portion is used to start the next batch.  There are actually two types of Viili, the short version which is more like a traditional yogurt while the longer version can produce rope like tendrils up to a foot in length.  I've heard it has a slightly sour taste but is sweeter than regular yogurt.

Next is Piima which is actually a drink rather than a solid.  It is a thin fermented drink with a faint cheese like flavor.  It is often used as a substitute for buttermilk.  It can be fermented at room temperature without a starter using bacteria in the air.  You can also put a bit of live yogurt in a glass of milk, stir, and leave it for a bit.  The culture can also be added to cream to create a Piima cream.

Then there is Filmjolk, a cultured diary product half way between Piima and Viili with a bright tangy flavor.  I am wondering if I had this on my breakfast cereal in Finland for breakfast. There was always a bowl of something tangy and white at the breakfast buffet. It gets its taste from two different bacteria.  In addition, it works on any type of milk.

All of the above yogurts can be made at room temperature.  You do not have to heat the milk to a certain temperature for the culture to work which makes it faster and easier.  It has been suggested one keep a bit back just in case it doesn't work.

A few of these also work with soy milk in addition to dairy milk.  If you are interested in buying starters for any of these yogurts check here or here.  I have not used either source but the second was recommended on the web page written by someone into fermentation.  In addition, Amazon carries a one pack with four heirloom starters of which three are listed here. 

Let me know what you think. Have a great Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment