Monday, September 25, 2017

Short or Long Exercise Sessions

Runner, Race, Competition, Female  I am not one of those people who goes to a gym to exercise one to two hours before or after work. 

There are two reasons I don't do it. First, I don't have a gym within a two hour air flight and second, I don't have the time right now.

 What I do have the time for is a couple or three shorter sessions.  I wanted to know if several short sessions is as good as one long session?

So I took a look.  If I don't have time for one longer session, three shorter ones are considered as good or better.  Research indicates that three shorter ones can actually have some definite advantages over one long one.

In one research project, they discovered the benefits of shorter bursts of exercise lasted longer than fewer longer sessions.  Another study showed blood pressure readings improved well for both types of sessions but there were fewer spikes with shorter sessions.

According to the CDC it doesn't matter which way you go because the overall number of minutes done per week is important.  People need to accumulate 150 to 300 minutes per week of moderate exercise to receive benefits.

Benefits include weight loss, stronger bones and muscle, lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol levels, lower risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes, and a boost to both your emotional and energy levels.

To receive the most benefits from exercise, long or short, make sure it is challenging but not so challenging that you can't finish the whole session.  If you do a longer session, take sure you take as few breaks as possible and if you do have to take a break, keep it as short as possible.  Try to include some interval training for best results.

It has been suggested that people get up 15 minutes earlier, squeeze a 10 minute session at lunch, a quick walk in the park in the evening.  I hate being outside when its cold and rainy or snowy and blizzarding.  I rely on exercise DVD's.  I have a huge collection of 10 minute ones which fit my needs when I need short ones.

I am glad to hear my sneaking those 10 and 15 minute ones into my schedule is ok.  I used to feel guilty not doing 45  to 90 minute sessions because I could only use 10 to 15 min sessions at once.  I am glad I am doing something right.

Have a great day.  Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment