Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Chef Sean Walklin's Grilled Kale Recipe

Vegetables Vitamins Diet Food Eat Cooking I promised you the delicious kale recipe I tasted last week at the Farmer's Market.  I had planned on sharing it with you yesterday but I thought the information on the scam was much more important.

The chef made a minor change to the recipe.  Since the kale was so tender and sweet, he omitted the apple and he grilled some shrimp, cut it up before tossing it on top of the kale dish.

He placed the shrimp on top rather than in the mix because there were a couple of vegetarians around who wanted to taste the kale.  He also sprinkled the bread crumbs on at the end so those who needed a gluten free sample could have it.
It was so good, I ordered an electric grill for my house so I can grill inside during the winter.  I've always wanted to grill but couldn't due to too much snow in the winter.  Now I can do it. It might not be as good as with charcoal but I don't have to find any in the middle of a rural Alaskan village.  I don't even think they get it out there.

Grilled Kale
1/2 day-old baguette, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 6 cups) or store-bought breadcrumbs
8 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon hot smoked Spanish paprika
1/2 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
1/4 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
2 garlic cloves, finely grated
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more
Freshly ground black pepper
3 large bunches Tuscan or regular kale, ribs and stems removed
1/2 apple, cored, very thinly sliced lengthwise
3 radishes, trimmed, very thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss bread with 4 tablespoons of oil on a rimmed baking sheet and toast until crisp and golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Let cool. Pulse in a food processor until you get coarse crumbs with some larger pea-size pieces remaining. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in paprika; set aside.
Meanwhile, mix yogurt, crème fraîche, garlic, lemon juice and honey in a medium bowl. Gradually add 2 tablespoons of oil, whisking until combined. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
Prepare a grill for medium-high heat. Toss kale with remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large bowl to coat; massage leaves to soften. Working in batches, grill kale, turning often, until nicely charred and slightly wilted, about 2 minutes per batch. Transfer back to bowl when done and let cool slightly. Add apple and radish and toss to combine. Drizzle with dressing; toss again.
Serve salad topped with reserved paprika breadcrumbs and the seafood of your choice.

It isn't that hard to adjust for Vegans, Gluten-Free, or other dietary restrictions.  The sample was so good, I immediately went out and purchased some kale that I've used in other ways because the weather has been kind of rainy and I haven't been able to use my outdoor grill.  I'll get more and try grilling it then.

I hope you enjoy this recipe.  Have a great day, and let me know what you think, because I'd love to hear.

2 comments:

  1. I'm always looking for interesting kale recipes and this one sounds delicious. I'd have to omit the dairy ingredients but since it's just a dressing I'm guessing that would be fairly easy to do. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy to omit the dairy. The chef just drizzled it on top rather than mixing it in so it wouldn't be bad at all without it. Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate it.

      Delete