Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Something New At the Farmers Market.

I shared information about our Farmers Market earlier this month but the other day when I got there, I discovered a new vendor who had an item I've never seen offered before.

The vendor offered freshly grown oyster Mushrooms.   As you can see in the picture to the left, the mushrooms are absolutely beautiful and mouth watering. 

We've had wild mushrooms such as freshly gathered morel's picked from local areas.  I enjoy morel's but its nice having something new offered.
I love mushrooms, all kinds.  I've even been known to buy them when I'm traveling to bring home since the varieties available up here is rather limited.

The owner returned this past Saturday with more Oyster Mushrooms, I bought more.  We do not get them very often at the supermarkets locally so of course I had to buy some to cook up.

The first bunch I purchased, I did two different things with.  I cooked some up in butter and garlic, then spread it over buttered pasta and topped it with a bit of fresh grated Parmesan cheese.  It was turned out so well.  I loved it.

The other portion, I chopped up with an equal amount of chopped eggplant.  Cooked them up in oil with a bit of onion and broth.  when the eggplant softened, I added a little taco seasoning to add a bit of flavor and served it in corn tortillas heated on a greased cast iron skillet.  I'd found the recipe but I don't eat the meat so I substituted the eggplant and it worked well.

Last night, I again cooked the mushrooms up with eggplant, zucchini, onions, garlic, and a bit of chopped up Napa cabbage.   I threw in a bit of enchilada sauce before making stacked cheese enchiladas with this stuffing, a bit of cheese, and a bit more sauce at the end to make sure the top layer wasn't too dry.

Ohhh I loved it.  Yes I enjoy cooking and eating well spiced and flavored foods.  I think tonight, I'm going to finish off the mushrooms by making a mushroom pate with part of them and fry the rest up with butter, garlic, and a splash of wine.  That last one, I'll savor it by itself.

I hope you have a great day.  Enjoy yourselves and let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.



No comments:

Post a Comment