Monday, July 30, 2018

Costume College.

I just spent the past few days attending a wonderful educational opportunity in Woodland Hills, CA.  It happens every year and brings attendee's from all around the world.  I spoke with people from Australia and England.  I think over half the attendees were from out of state including myself.  At this event, you can learn to do so many different things. They have workshops for hands on learning, and lectures.

I gave four lectures and taught one workshop over the weekend.  I also attended a few lectures including one on taking grid based patterns from books and enlarging them so you can make it for yourself.  In addition, there are vendors who have everything you need.  I bought tons of historical patterns for the 1870 to 1900 time period.

This event also includes four different social events. It begins with a pool party on Thursday Night where people go to have fun, show off bathing suits from the 1890's on up to now or they might wear something casual from a different time.  Friday night, they have a wonderful social.  This year, it was a night in Paris Theme with food and entertainment.

People create outfits worthy of being in a museum.  I've seen some I cannot believe and will never be up to that skill level.  I'm sharing some pictures with you from the Friday night event.  Over the next few days, I'll share some from the Saturday and Sunday special events.  I tend to take general pictures that are very relaxed because I do it when they are not posed.

 This picture has gowns from the late 1700's, early 1800's and Victorian around 1870 or 1880
 In the above photo the gold is from the 1890's but in the background there are a variety of outfits including regular evening gowns.
This outfit, the one with the snail shell is one of my favorites.  Her hat has two antenna to complete the outfit. It's in the style 
 Some one came as a flower.  The back of the headpiece is beautifully done.
There is a beautiful selection of periods and styles.
 Here you see some beautiful beaded dresses from the early 1900's.  Probably Titanic era.
 If you look carefully, you'll even see the little one in the background who is is costume.
 Many people choose to wear more modern fashions because they are easier to find and pack.  Look to the right and you'll see a late 1940's or early 50's dress.
Yes many of these costumes were made by the people wearing them but others bought theirs off of ebay or had someone else make it.  No everyone was in costume.  Some come in their regular clothing.  This even allows people to show off their creations to others who appreciate the work on it.

I will share more pictures from the Saturday and Sunday events.  I hope you enjoyed these.  Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment