Monday, January 9, 2017

10 Tips for Exercising Effectively.

Physiotherapy, Weight Training, DumbbellYes I am one of those people who exercise at home.  There is a gym of sorts at work with bikes, walking machines and some weight machines but honestly by the end of the day I am tired and just want to get home.  I am sure there are people out there who want to exercise but do not always want to stop by a gym.

I have a life goal (not a resolution) where I try to work out 5 days a week.  I use DVDs to get my exercise in. Some are aerobic, or yoga, or pilates, or dance, or stretch, or fitness ball.  Some are made for real people and others are made for those who worship fitness but I use them all depending on my mood. 

There are things one can follow either at the gym or at home to have a more effective workout. I follow these suggestions at home.
1. Be consistent - Work out on a regular basis so you experience the full benefits of your workout.

2. Choose an effective exercise routine which should include 20 minutes a day of strength training twice a week ( I have two sets of weights), interval training which alternates say walking or running, include some increased cardio workouts such as running or dancing.

3. Set realistic goals such as walking 10 minutes a day and then increase.  I try for a minimum of 20 minutes a day.

4. Have a buddy to keep you working out.  I don't have a buddy but I write it down in my daily journal.  I am thinking of getting together with a couple of coworkers to check in with each other or workout with each other.

5. Find a plan that works for you.  If you are not a gym type person, set aside some floor space at home to work out. I have a good space in my tiny living room set aside for working out.  Its where I can see the television.  My weights are kept under the coffee table.

6. Choose a workout you are happy to do.  Choose something you like.  I love dancing so I've been having a great time with a couple of those "Dancing with the Stars" and "Think you can dance" DVDs.  I ordered another one that was geared for those who want to be in the same shape as a SEAL.  So not me.  I don't use it but I use the ones that make me feel successful and happy.

7. Watch your body clock.  Select a time when you have the most energy.  For me, I can't because I"m working but I often put dinner in the oven and get my workout done while dinner is cooking.  I've found the best time for me is between 5 and 7 PM.  I still have energy and the time.

8. Take the time to get a professional assessment to help you focus on the areas most important for you.  Since I have no one available to help with that, I try to do flexibility, balance, aerobics, strength training, and stretching. 

9.  Find some sort of inspiration to keep you going.  It might be reading someones story of how they did it.  For me, I set a goal.  I want to visit Paris on New Year's Eve and dance on a table when I'm 95.  I have to stay in good shape to do that.

10. Hang in there.  You will have ups and downs but if you hang in, you will experience results.  There are days when I'm so tired, I don't want to do anything more than sit down on the couch.  I throw on a 10 minute exercise routine and often it gets me motivated to do more.  If not, I've done something.

I'd love to hear from all of you.  What keeps you motivated?  What is your routine?  Have a great day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment