Friday, January 20, 2017

Two Gluten Free Dinner Dishes.

Falafel, Middle Eastern Food, Chickpeas  Over the past two days, I've had a great time trying two new dishes.  Both are gluten free and both only use one type of flour.  I have a friend visiting who cannot eat wheat so I've been looking for recipes which look great, taste good, and do not require tons of specialized flours.

The first recipe I found is one for sweet potato falafel made with equal amounts of chickpea or garbanzo bean flour, and mashed sweet potatoes.  Add in no more than 1/4 cup water, 2 tsp cumin, 2 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp chopped onion, 1 tsp chopped garlic, 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley and salt to taste. 

Mix up and let set about 15 to 20 min to give the flour a chance to absorb the moisture.  Rather than make round balls, I went for patties because they fit in a sandwich better and I placed them on a greased cookie sheet.  I baked them for 15 at 350 before flipping and baking them on the other side for another 15 min. 

I served them in sandwich form on toasted bread with a bit of tahini sauce.  For me, I prefer more spice so I'll play around with the recipe a bit but it was soooooo good that I'll make it again.  You could use cooked or canned beans in this recipe but you'll have to grind them up before mixing with the sweet potato and leave out the water.

The other recipe I made so far is a pizza with a crust made out of equal parts chickpea flour and warm water.  Add some garlic and salt to the batter and let set a full hour.  At the end, spread the mixture around the pizza pan and place under a broiler for 5 to 10 min until it is firm in the middle and slightly brown at the edges.

Pull it out, spread the tomato sauce, cheese, toppings and then bake at 425 for 15 to 20 min till the cheese is melted and the toppings are nicely cooked.  Let cool a few minutes and serve.

Both recipes were were easy to make and both tasted quite good.  I plan to make them again for my friend.  Give them a try and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment