Monday, January 30, 2017

Dresses and Sari's





Saree, Fashion, Silk, Dress, Woman  We've all seen those beautiful sari's worn by Indian women.  Just one piece of cloth wrapped around, creating a wearable piece of art but did you know these same saris have been used to create dresses?

I know a lady who has her own line of patterns and she made up this beautiful 1920's dress from a silk sari.  It flowed and was just breath taking.

Other ladies who are into historical costuming use a sari to create a dress from the 1810 time.  There are lots of instructions available out there to create these beautiful regency gowns of Jane Austin's time.  There are even ways to use the sari blouse for the bodice while the skirt is made the sari itself.
Couple, Man, Woman, Costume, Drama

In addition, I use sari's to make belly dance outfits.  I found this cool length made of two colors.  One in the center surrounded by a second color on the outside.  The inner color became the skirt while the outer side made the pants.

Other times I cut off the trim on both edges before making the skirt.  I attach the trim to the bottom and use the decorative end part for the top.  I love the way they all turn out. 

Woman, Person, Model, Happy, Party DressI found this cool dress where the person took the decorative pattern from one sari and matched it to a plain color from another sari to create a cute chick knock about dress.  Sari's can also be used to make layered skirts with a bohemian feel, full of freedom and twirl.  Or if you prefer, obtain a fancy sari to make a one of a kind evening dress which makes you stand out from all the others at a ball.  Almost like Cinderella.

The dress to the left is a style one could use when remaking a sari into a fancy dress.  The trim would be at the top and bottom while most of the dress might be much plainer.

Although sari's make up into phenomenal dresses it might not interest you  if you aren't a dress person,  what about pants?  I've seen pants made so the fancy trim is at the bottom while the plainer pattern makes the legs.  The ones I saw were made out of paler colors.  I'd make mine out of the darker colors because that is my preference.

People also use sari's for pillows, quilts, table cloths, runners, chairs, etc.  I've even seen some causally flung across windows to add a bit of  mystique to an otherwise ordinary room.  So many uses.

Yes, I have a huge collection of sari's in my closet for the day I have more time on my hands.  One of these day's I'll make another trip into Canada to purchase a bunch more because I adore using them for just about everything.

Let me know if you've ever made something out of a sari.  I'd be interest in seeing it.  Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment