Thursday, September 10, 2015

The Last Fight

Box, Boxing Match, Uppercut My father is a boxing fan.  I grew up seeing boxing matches every weekend on the tele.  Sometimes, I would watch the matches because he had to do something and wanted to know who won.  He had my mother do the honors one time but he didn't like her answer.  When he asked her who won, she looked at him and said " The guy standing of course!" which game him absolutely no clue.  

I usually was able to tell him enough of who wore what to know who won.   I know he boxed in the Navy for a little while.  He was one of those flyweights.  So I grew up watching boxing.  One of the people I work with left today for Las Vegas, NV.  He was going there to watch Floyd Mayweather's final fight before retirement.

I admit that I'd never bother to fly that far for a boxing match because I don't like the sport that much but I know if the event is free on the tele, my father will be glued to the set.  If its a pay for view event, I may give my father the money to pay for it as a late anniversary gift. 

He enjoys boxing so much, he'll even watch the matches in Spanish, Dutch, or any other foreign language.  Who needs to know the language when you can tell from watching who won?  When my coworker gets back from the final fight, he'll share every blow, every miss, every upper cut that happens because he loves boxing.  I'll listen, smile, and congratulate him on being there.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment